What I like
- He is the prototype modern NFL Linebacker.
- Moves like a defensive back with the speed to cover a ton of ground
- Exceptional football IQ, which allows him to play even faster.
- Tackles harder than you’d think considering his frame.
- Exceptional burst and closing speed.
- Amazing in coverage,
- He’s a dangerous blitzer, timing things up very well.
What I Don’t
- Lacks the strength to disengage from blockers
- Struggles to stack and shed in the run game.
Comparison: Quite a few come to mind. Roquan is a three-down linebacker that will thrive in today’s pass-happy NFL, especially in sub packages. I can see him filling roles similar to Deion Jones and Deon Bucannon.
Overall: Smith is the best defensive player in the draft. His impact as a middle linebacker in today’s NFL is limitless. He will be able to step in immediately and will eventually develop into a Pro Bowler.