NFL Draft 2018 Scouting Reports: Wyoming QB Josh Allen
What I like
- Allen has one of the strongest arms most scouts have ever seen. He put it on display at the combine with a 70-yard bomb.
- He’s athletic and while I don’t believe his athleticism is comparable to Cam Newton’s(sorry Daniel Jeremiah) Wyoming did use him in a similar way and he produced results.
- Allen comes from the same offense as Carson Wentz. No gimmicky spread here he’s made all the throws and taken snaps under center.
- At 6’5 233 pounds he has prototypical NFL quarterback size.
- He’s at his best when he’s outside the pocket. It’s out there that his athleticism and arm strength are on full display.
What I don’t
- My biggest gripe is Allen is that he’s shown very little ability to win from the pocket. He seems to prefer playing outside of it. He will usually bail at the first sign of pressure and subtle moves within the pocket don’t seem to be in his repertoire.
- His decision making is questionable at best. Pro football focus ranked him 28th in the nation at avoiding turnover worthy plays
- Even his most ardent supporters admit Allen is not accurate. A lot of this comes from his mechanics. Oftentimes his upper and lower body are out of synch when he throws. He also tends to not reset his feet when he moves in the pocket.
Comparison: Flacco with wheels. He’s got the same level arm or stronger and he can throw much better on the move. They are also similar in size.
Overall: He’s the most polarizing quarterback prospect in years. No matter how you feel about Allen, he has the pieces to become a great signal caller(physically at least). His success will largely be based on the environment and system he’s placed in. I personally think he has bust written all over him.